East Kilbride takes its name from an Irish saint named St Bride (or Brigit). These days it is most commonly known as ‘EK’. Perhaps unkindly in some quarters it is also known as ‘Polo Mint City’, because of the 50-odd roundabouts contained in the town.
About the town
East Kilbride is in the South Lanarkshire local authority area and lies on high ground on the south side of the Cathkin Braes, about 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Glasgow city centre and close to the boundary with East Renfrewshire. The town is enclosed by the White Cart River to the west and the Rotten Calder to the east, the latter flowing northwards to join the River Clyde near Cambuslang.
East Kilbride grew from a small village of around 900 inhabitants in 1930 to become Scotland’s first new town on 6 May 1947 with currently around 75000 residents.
About the Association
In the early 1990s the East Kilbride Development Corporation was required to transfer its housing stock to the local authority. However, local residents were keen that at least some of the housing stock in East Kilbride was owned and controlled locally, resulting in The East Kilbride Housing Association being formed in 1994.Our Staff Our Senior Management Team Our Finance , Corporate and Reception Team Our Housing Management Team Our Technical Services Team
325 houses and flats were transferred to the Association from the Development Corporation. 195 of these were new build homes and 130 were older properties transferred individually as they became vacant. In 1995 we embarked on a substantial improvement programme to ensure that all of our tenants have safe, secure and well insulated homes which meet or go beyond the Scottish Housing Quality Standard. We are also working to ensure all of our properties meet the Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing (EESSH) by December 2020.
About our properties
We now have a total of 515 properties with almost 200 having been developed or acquired since 1999. We also work in partnership with a number of voluntary and statutory agencies to provide accommodation with support for people with particular needs.
About the Management Board
The Association is run by a Management Board, which is made up of a cross section of local people committed to ensuring that a wide range of housing is locally available. Find out more about the work of the Management Board and how you can get involved here
Our Vision is – to be the best housing provider in a thriving East Kilbride
“To improve the quality of life and serve the needs of local people in East Kilbride and surrounding areas by providing high quality social rented housing and related services, and by assisting them in sustaining and strengthening their communities”.”
The Association has set itself a series of strategic objectives, which are:
- To secure our financial viability and long term future by operating efficient, effective and accountable financial management;
- To maintain a broad membership base and actively support tenant and community involvement in the running of the Association;
- To pursue opportunities to develop and expand activities which are financially viable, support our Mission Statement and are compatible with our Rules;
- To increase the provision of varied housing tenures, in partnership with other agencies where necessary;
- To ensure the fabric of existing stock and design standards of future stock supports independent living and meets tenants’ aspirations;
- To provide caring, cost effective and high quality services which put customers at the heart of everything we do;
- To continually assess and increase the range of services offered to our customers;
- To explore cost effective sustainable energy options to provide lower cost energy bills and reduce carbon emissions;
- To improve and expand the opportunities for residents to participate in our activities at appropriate levels;
- To ensure our Board and professional staff have the necessary skills, experience, knowledge and training to successfully lead and manage the organisation;
‘We have produced our first Strategic Plan, covering 2016 to 2019 –